EastLink gives $100,000 to Beyond Blue
To assist local people experiencing mental health challenges during these difficult times, EastLink has donated $100,000 to Beyond Blue.
This brings EastLink’s total for donations during 2021 to $400,000.
The COVID-19 pandemic has had an unprecedented impact on the Victorian economy, increasing unemployment and underemployment, and many businesses have closed.
EastLink corporate affairs manager Doug Spencer-Roy said, “EastLink recognises that some local people living in the EastLink corridor have been directly affected and are experiencing financial hardship, mental health issues and family violence.”
“To assist local people experiencing mental health challenges during these difficult times, EastLink has donated $100,000 to Beyond Blue.”
Beyond Blue is Australia’s most well-known and visited mental health organisation, focused on supporting people affected by anxiety, depression and suicide.
Beyond Blue welcomes EastLink’s initiative which will assist the Beyond Blue Support Service in supporting the mental wellbeing of the community during these difficult times.
Beyond Blue Chief Community Officer Patrice O’Brien said the organisation was grateful for EastLink’s generous donation.
“Throughout the pandemic, we’ve seen more and more people contacting our services for support and we see this as good sign. It means people are increasingly comfortable talking about their mental health and are taking steps to manage their wellbeing,” Ms O’Brien said.
“Every dollar we receive from EastLink will go to the Beyond Blue Support Service, which is staffed by skilled mental health professionals who are ready to provide free counselling, advice and referrals 24/7 to everyone in Australia.”
If you need support or information around depression and anxiety, for yourself, a friend or family member, please call Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636 (24 hours / 7 days a week) or visit www.beyondblue.org.au.
EastLink has now donated a total of $400,000 to community service providers during 2021:
- January 2021: $100,000 donation to Peninsula Community Legal Centre (more details)
- February 2021: $100,000 donation to Eastern Community Legal Centre (more details)
- March 2021: $100,000 donation to EACH for Eastern Financial Counselling Services (more details)
- April 2021: $100,000 donation to Beyond Blue
“As a leader in transport sustainability, EastLink is privileged to be able to deliver this significant program of donations to these essential services in our local community,” concluded Doug Spencer-Roy.
Patrice O'Brien (Beyond Blue) and Doug Spencer-Roy (EastLink) with an award to mark the $100,000 donation (photos Nicole Cleary):
About Beyond Blue
Beyond Blue works with the community to improve mental health and prevent suicide, so that all people in Australia can achieve their best possible mental health.
Through the Beyond 2020 Strategy, Beyond Blue is working across three strategic priorities:
- Promoting mental health and wellbeing so people have greater knowledge, feel safe to talk openly about their issues and are supported to ask for help when they need to.
- Being a trusted source of information, advice and support so we can all better understand how to maintain our mental health and take steps to recover from mental health conditions.
- Working together to prevent suicide by playing a lead role in the national effort to prevent suicide through research, information, advice and support, and advocacy.
Beyond Blue has been providing supports and services to people in Australia for 20 years.