Default Banner

Hardship Policy

EastLink tolling debts

While we expect customers to limit their use of EastLink so that it remains within their ability to pay, we recognise that people can experience real financial hardship and may need additional assistance and flexibility.

Our Hardship Policy ensures that regardless of your circumstances, you will be treated with understanding, dignity and respect:

How to apply for an extension of payment or a payment plan

If you are just experiencing short-term payment difficulties and are only seeking an extension of payment terms or a payment plan for an existing EastLink debt, please phone us on (03) 9955 1400 during business hours (Monday to Friday excluding public holidays).

How to apply for hardship assistance

If you are experiencing financial hardship and are finding it difficult to pay an existing EastLink debt then you can apply for hardship assistance by sending an email to (do NOT send any other enquiries to this email address).

You will need to provide some evidence of financial hardship, for example:

  • Letter from a charitable organisation (e.g. financial counselling service or community legal centre) regarding inability to provide for basic necessities

  • Official eviction notice (not a warning of possible eviction due to rental arrears)

  • Pending disconnection of essential services, like water, electricity or gas (does not include mobile phone or internet bills)

  • Notice of impending legal action

  • Bank notice (e.g. overdraft call or mortgaged property repossession)

  • Overdue medical bills

  • Final notice from school regarding payment of mandatory fees

  • Repossession notice of essential items, like a car or motorcycle.

Infringement notices (tolling fines) issued by Victoria Police 

If you have received infringement notices (tolling fines) from Victoria Police you may find the Fine Fixer website helpful. The Fine Fixer website is a free service provided by Moonee Valley Legal Service to the people of Victoria.

If you live in Melbourne's east, you may find Eastern Community Legal Centre helpful. People living in the local government areas of Boroondara, Knox, Manningham, Maroondah, Whitehorse and the Yarra Ranges can seek free legal advice from ECLC.

If you live in Melbourne's south-east or Mornington Peninsula, you may find Peninsula Community Legal Centre helpful. PCLC is an independent, not-for-profit organisation that has been providing free legal services to Melbourne’s south-eastern communities since 1977.

National Debt Helpline can help you find a financial counsellor. National Debt Helpline is a not-for-profit service that helps people tackle their debt problems. They’re not a lender and they don’t ‘sell’ anything or make money from you. Their professional financial counsellors offer a free, independent and confidential service.

News & Alerts